Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I\D & Under the Velvet Sky (Blu Jaz, 15 February 2012)

I/D & Under the Velvet Sky launched their Split EP with a gig at Blu Jaz. Below us on the second floor, there was a poetry slam, on the ground floor were hordes of people drinking and chattering. I shouldn't have to marvel that venues like this still exist in Singapore, but I have to say that I am glad that Blu Jaz should have the space to have so many things going on all at once.

IMG_2071



Under the Velvet Sky's set was like a bunch of guitars and a saxophone wildly mating against the backdrop of a lush bassline. I guess I like them because one imagines all sorts of stories while listening to them.

IMG_2080



I\D's set is surprisingly crisp and sharp in this recording, as the spikes and bleep tones were intensely loud at the venue and I can hear it more clearly here. Angular, minimal; almost ritualistic in its repetitions.

Afternote: Under The Velvet Sky and I\D also did a jam together which I tried to record despite a low battery but I've been experiencing a glitch where griffin italk does not save the last recording to disk if it runs out of power while recording... A pity as it was really epic especially with all the horns going head to head!

No comments: